[BLDG-SIM] Bug in Window 5.2

Mike Tillou miket at etcgrp.com
Fri Jun 17 06:02:09 PDT 2005

Hi All,

Anyone using Window 5 (any version) to create custom glazing for DOE2 simulations should be very careful.  There is a bug in the output feature of Window 5 that incorrectly reports the window film coefficients used to calculate the center of glass U-value.  If you use this data in a DOE 2 simulation the calculated center of glass U-value may be off by as much as 40%.  BE CAREFUL and check the output reports to verify glazing performance if you are importing Window 5 performance data.  Apparently Window 4 does not have this problem, it worked fine when I tried it.

I have been told that LBNL is aware of the problem but to date has not resolved the issue.

I have only heard one side of the story (and would be happy to hear the other) but it seems like this is another chapter in the ongoing saga of DOE2 vs Energy Plus.  I am not saying this is the case, but it is disturbing to think that software bugs in publicly funded software are not getting fixed for political reasons.

Unfortunately those of us trying to use these tools and can't because of issues like this suffer most.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Modeler.

Michael Tillou, PE
etc Group, Inc.