[bldg-sim] Curtain Wall

Chris Jones cj at cr-jay.ca
Mon Nov 21 06:31:47 PST 2005

The performance of spandrel panels is very poor depending on the curtain
wall thermal break.  The typical commercial curtain wall has a 3 mm
polyvinyl strip punctured by bolts.  Depending on the size of spandrel
panel, the overall R-value will be 50-70% less than the insulation
value.  If the curtain wall has a good thermal break - 19 mm is typical for
best systems, then you will see a reduction of about 35%.

For an accurate estimate of curtain wall performance (spandrel and glazing)
see http://p10a.enermodal.com/WebFPlus/

At 17:34 18/11/2005, you wrote:
>Vision panels should be modelled as windows, but the spandrel (opaque)
>areas will be external walls.  In this case your spandrel glass will be
>conductive and absorptive, but will not transmit as it isn't a window ...
>Spandrel glass is often colour back and will thus is usually very
>absorptive.  Layering of the external wal layers will be like any other
>construction, but be mindful of the aluminium bridging if there are no
>thermal breaks.

Chris Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J2E3