[bldg-sim] air-side economizer...increase in heating load???

Paul Erickson perickson at aeieng.com
Thu Oct 20 10:26:36 PDT 2005

Greetings,

Has anyone out there experienced a situation where DOE-2 predicted an increase in heating energy consumption when using the air-side economizer?  I was using the OA Temperature as the control (set at 65F, and I tried min temp at both 52 and 55, where 55 was also my cold deck supply temp).

I saw an expected decrease in cooling energy consumed, but there was an increase in heating and a small increase in fan energy.  I am modeling a building in Appleton, WI.  However, I made a simple base model as well to see if the problem was my original model.  For Appleton, Albuquerque, and Boulder (I only looked at 3), all three locations showed this increase in heating energy and decrease in cooling for the simple building.

Does anyone know if the RA damper modulates when the economizer is used, or does it fully close and thus provide 100% OA to the supply duct?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  THanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul