[bldg-sim] Utility Rates and eQUEST

Mike Tillou miket at etcgrp.com
Sat Oct 1 18:45:22 PDT 2005

Scott,

I think you should be using the actual electric utility rate and calculating electric consumption and electric demand costs because that's what the owner is going to be paying.  You should also be incuding taxes, monthly fees and any additional riders or tariffs that might apply.  It would be pretty tough to justify a blended kWh cost for a new construction project because in order to be relevant it would need to be based on the actual operation of the building.

Furthermore with regard to whether using the actual rate will hurt your modeling results....the goal of LEED is not to "win as many points as you can" but rather to promote efficient, sustainable buildings. The goal of using energy modeling should be to improve the overall building design.  If you don't like the results of the energy model make design changes untill you do.

For example if your client has a demand ratchet and your building design creates a large summer cooling peak, the client will be paying for that all year long.  If you used a blended rate you won't see the effects of that in the utility cost.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Michael Tillou, PE
etc Group, Inc.
PO Box 7 Williamstown, MA 01267
Ph. (413) 458-9870   Mbl. (413) 652-1087