[bldg-sim] wall response factors

fernando varela fvarela at eis.uva.es
Tue Oct 25 01:51:57 PDT 2005

Hello everybody:

My name is Fernando and I am a doctorate student. I am working in energy
simulation in Buildings and I 'd like to know if the wall response
factors are still obtained as it is shown in the engineers' manual of
DOE-2, this is, obtaining the roots of the B(s) element of the wall
characteristic matrix and evaluating the corresponding series, so as to
find the inverse of Laplace's transform.

If this is so, I would like to know what is the computational cost of
this procedure, if there is a better way to do it, or a good algorithm
to find roots, and which is the usual number of roots of B(s) one should
take to keep needed accuracy.

Another question:

What's the difference between using periodic and ordinary response
factors? Is there an easier way to obtain periodic response factors or
is it necessary to obtain them fron the usual response factors?

Thank you in advance.