[bldg-sim] Occupied and unoccupied hours weather data

Gaurav Mehta gmehta75 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:40:06 PDT 2005

Thanks a lot everyone for your response.

With the help of one of the responses out of the group, I figured out a way
in excel to separate out occupied and unoccupied hrs weather data from an
energy plus weather file that I converted to CSV format through energy plus
weather converter.

I used the menu item data/filter/autofilter to filter out data using the
custom feature specifying the hours 'greater or equal to' and 'lesser or
equal to'. Excel displayed the filtered out data which then was copied to
another work sheet. It is easier to do it for occupied hours as the hours
are in ascending order, it gets a bit trickier when working out for
unoccupied hours using this method. I filtered out data separately for hours
from 01:00 hrs to 07:00 hrs and for 19:00 hrs -24:00 hrs. After copying this
data onto another work sheet I sorted out using the date (mm/dd/yyyy) column
of data set. There is one problem here, as excel interprets the mm/dd/yyy as
numbers and they are not in the same order as the actual month. For this I
separated out the month and date in different columns and then sorted the
data to get the desired results.

I know this may not be the most efficient way to do it in excel, but I am
limited with my knowledge of using excel to its fullest capabilities.
However, there is a limitation in this method too, as it does not
differentiate between weekdays and weekends and holidays. I realized it
later, but I think I'll need to differentiate this for my analysis.

Gerald,

That was the first thing I realized that BinMaker Pro can do what I am
looking for. However, as a student I can not bear the cost of it. I greatly
appreciate your offer, but I don't know, it might take a long time as I need
to analyze 6 locations in the US.

I will need weather data (DB, DP, RH, Wind Speed, Wind Direction,
Atmospheric Pressure) for both occupied (08:00 hrs - 18:00 hrs) and
unoccupied hours (19:00 hrs- 07:00) hrs separately with a working week of 5
days per week (Monday through Friday).

1. San Francisco, CA

2. Los Angeles, CA

3. Phoenix, AZ

4. Portland, OR

5. Chicago, IL

6. Atlanta, GA

I must thank once again to all the respondents for their inputs.

best regards,

Gaurav Mehta