[bldg-sim] tools/software for extracting specific data/info from DOE-2.2output file

Graham & Megan hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Fri Oct 7 17:02:37 PDT 2005

I've developed Excel based VBA macros to setup, run and post process batch mode DOE-2.2 simulations.  Once you get the hang of the key VBA functions it is quite powerful.  In terms of extracting information specific to a system, zone, or piece of plant equipment I have had these in Excel cells that are then assigned to VBA variables as part of the macro to enable searching for system/zone/equipment information by report type.  You could probably write a macro to extract all zone names from the SV-A reports, but I haven't gone this far.  While SIM files are highly predictable there are situations where their format varies and thus you need to be careful with line counting from a report header etc.  Simple things like dual duct systems have two lines per zone in the SV-A report.  There are other reports that vary in structure vertically but I can't think of them off the top of my head.  Microsoft.com has a lot of excellent knowledge base information for solving those VBA problems that aren't immediately obvious.
Regards,
Graham