[bldg-sim] Building Pre-Heating Question

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Thu Oct 6 08:58:55 PDT 2005

Jon,

I have looked into that issue and found a bunch of good
references mostly focused on cooling.  Hope this helps.

Jason

===========================

Anderson, I., Heat Storage in Building Thermal Mass: A
Parametric Study, ASHRAE Transactions, 1992, paper AN-92-8-
3.

Braun, J.E., Reducing Energy Costs and Peak Electrical
Demand Through Optimal Control of Building Thermal Storage,
ASHRAE Transactions, 1990, paper SL-90-16-2.

Braun, J.E., Montgomery, K.W., and Chaturvedi, N.,
Evaluating the Performance of Building Thermal Mass Control
Strategies, 2001. International Journal of Heating,
Ventilating, Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Research,
Vol. 7, No. 4.

Conniff, J.P., Strategies for Reducing Peak Air-
Conditioning Loads by Using Heat Storage in the Building
Structure, ASHRAE Transactions, 1991, paper NY-91-10-2.

Snyder, M.E. and Newell, T.A., Cooling Cost Minimization
Using Building Mass for Thermal Storage, ASHRAE
Transactions 1990, paper SL-90-14-3.

On 6 Oct 2005 at 11:48, Jon Maxwell wrote:

> Does anyone have experimental or simulation case study
> experience on using a building's inherent thermal mass for
> energy storage?
>
> Specifically, we have a client that manages a
> conventionally-constructed 17-story 30-year old office
> building and a conventional chiller/boiler/VAV system.  In
> the winter, they are considering setting the temperature
> setpoint very high for a few hours before occupancy to heat
> up the concrete & furnishings, then coasting later in the
> day.  The system would have sensors placed deep in the
> concrete to monitor temperature and help optimize the
> controls.
>
> The approach might use more energy (lower system temperature
> differences, higher average inside temperature), or it might
> use less (running systems at full load, lower average inside
> temperature because of radiant comfort). The manager's
> primary goal is to increase tenant comfort.
>
> In the summer they could do the reverse.  The building is
> located in the Pacific Northwest U.S.  Any results would be
> welcome, but a case study from a similar climate would be
> ideal.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Jon Maxwell, PE
> Aspen Systems Corporation
> jmaxwell at aspensys.com
> (610) 604-4604

Jason Glazer, P.E.  jglazer AT gard DOT com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users