[bldg-sim] Action Alert! How should "qualified energy analysts" be certified for the new Federal commercial tax incentives?

David Bryan DBryan at AmerIndian.com
Mon Oct 31 10:13:30 PST 2005

Let's think about the over-all process.  This
model will be used to certify that a given
expenditure by a building owner is eligible for
tax credits which in turn will be used to
determine his overall tax liability.  How
accurate or precise is this tax liability?    In
my experience, it is a huge squishy gray area
determined by how clever or aggressive the person
preparing the tax return is and also how the IRS
interprets these efforts.  I don't believe we
need to do a research level analysis to determine
one component in a very imprecise process.  I
think this is more of a horseshoes and hand
grenades situation.  Of course, the analysis
needs to include enough detail and enough care to
support the intention of the law enabling the tax
credit.  So there needs to be a careful selection
of the tools which can be used, and a process
which will screen the analysts to determine a
basic competency level and perhaps more
importantly to help assure that they are
reputable and not colluding with the tax payer to
cheat the government.  Other than that, I suggest
that we try to keep the process simple and
economical with simple tools and a large stable of readily-available analysts.

Dave Bryan

AmerINDIAN Architecture
Suite 100, 475 Cleveland Avenue North
Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55104    USA

651-644-1586 phone
651-644-7172 fax

dbryan at amerindian.com
www.amerindian.com

At 11:09 AM 10/31/2005, you wrote:
>Based on AEC's VisualDOE training experience, I
>believe a certification process based on an
>extensive three to five days training on energy
>modeling for EIT, PE etc would make more sense
>than an exam. Background knowledge of
>engineering and architecture, familiar with
>modeling tools, and a dedicated quality control
>process are crucial in getting meaningful results from energy modeling.
>
>Tianzhen

..

>It would be easiest to stick with the typical
>protocol for the building design industry
..