[bldg-sim] Action Alert! How should "qualified energy analysts" be certified for the new Federal commercial tax incentives?

Vern Smith vsmith at archenergy.com
Mon Oct 31 07:16:16 PST 2005

Our modeling group discussed this on Friday.  We agree that many of the
most experienced modelers are not registered professionals.  Most
projects, via building codes, require the oversight of a registered
professional any way. We don't think defaulting to a registered
professional will give assurance that the model is a reasonable
representation of a project, unless that person actually created the
model.  There are simply too many details in a typical energy model that
may be overlooked if the registered individual did not create it.  So,
if a certification process is going to be required, it should be at the
individual level.  If DOE doesn't create a process to certify modelers,
such as a training workshop plus exam plus standard practices, then
perhaps a professional organization would take the lead.  ASHRAE, IBPSA,
AIA, or AEE might be candidates.

Regards,
Vern Smith

Misuriello, Harry wrote:

> Dear Building Energy Analysis Colleagues:
>

> I am writing to you on behalf of the commercial subcommittee of the
> Tax Incentives Assistance Project (TIAP.)  TIAP is a coalition of
> public, private and NGO parties with a strong interest in effective
> implementation of the energy efficiency tax incentives included in the
> Energy Policy Act of 2005 (EPAct 2005, also known as the "energy bill".)
>

> The commercial tax incentives require the use of "certified" computer
> software that is run by "qualified individuals."  The Department of
> Energy is in the process of making recommendations to the Treasury
> Department on how these individuals should be certified.  A good fact
> sheet on the commercial building tax incentives can be found at
> www.nema.org <http://www.nema.org/>.
>

> An excerpt from EPAct 2005 addressing this certification is shown below.
>

> `(6) CERTIFICATION-
>
> `(A) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall prescribe the manner and method
> for the making of certifications under this section.
>
> `(B) PROCEDURES- The Secretary shall include as part of the
> certification process procedures for inspection and testing by
> qualified individuals described in subparagraph (C) to ensure
> compliance of buildings with energy-savings plans and targets. Such
> procedures shall be comparable, given the difference between
> commercial and residential buildings, to the requirements in the
> Mortgage Industry National Accreditation Procedures for Home Energy
> Rating Systems.
>
> `(C) QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS- Individuals qualified to determine
> compliance shall be only those individuals who are recognized by an
> organization certified by the Secretary for such purposes.
>

> In recent discussions we found that DOE views this as an issue and is
> looking for some creative ideas on certification of energy analysts
> for the purposes of tax incentive rule compliance.  The default
> outcome may be to require a licensed design professional (i.e. PE,
> AIA) as a qualified individual; however, many of the best modelers and
> analysts may not be registered engineers or architects.  Also, unlike
> the residential sector, there is no commercial equivalent to RESNET.
> As far as we know there is no certifying body for commercial building
> energy analysts or modelers.
>

> TIAP is most interested in maximizing participation in the commercial
> tax incentives program in order to achieve significant energy
> savings.  We would like to see a certification approach that allows
> the greatest number of qualified energy modelers and energy analysts
> to carry out this work.  We are looking for workable solutions to
> certification that do not exclude qualified modelers from this market.
>

> So, what advice can the community of modelers and energy analysts
> provide on this topic?  TIAP and the Alliance to Save Energy are
> looking for input on the following questions:
>

>     * Are there any existing energy analysis certification programs
> [...]

Vernon A. Smith, P.E.
Architectural Energy Corporation
2540 Frontier Ave., Suite 201, Boulder, CO 80301-2400 USA
Direct: 303-459-7424
Main: 303-444-4149 x424
vsmith at archenergy.com
http://www.archenergy.com