[BLDG-SIM] WWR definition

Renee J. Azerbegi renee at ambient-e.com
Sun Apr 23 11:10:41 PDT 2006

It depends on the code in use.

I submitted an official request (CM proposal) to the ASHRAE 90.1 Envelope
committee to change the definition to only include the above grade walls but
they declined it so it is still the above and below grade walls. The reason
I sent the request is that architects tend to add more glazing to the above
grade walls because they can include the below grade walls in the
definition. I showed some modeling results of the difference between a two
story building with one above and below grade wall in a few difference
cities in the US and there was a significant energy impact.

However, I believe the IECC includes only the above grade walls.

Renée

Renée Azerbegi, CEM, LEED-AP

President/Sustainable Design Engineer

ambient energy – solar & sustainable design solutions

t 303.278.1532 | f 303.278.8533 | c 303.885.2695

renee at ambient-e.com

ambient-e.com

  _____