[BLDG-SIM] Insight into modeling large indoor pools

karen mozes kmozes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 12:52:57 PDT 2006

Hi Ken,
I would suggest you look at several different models and their assumptions,
as evaporative loss calculations vary greatly between models. Restcreen is a
free Canadian software you can use to calculate solar water heating, that
provides pool losses calculations. This program has good written
documentation on the assumptions used.
The latest evaporative loss model, and one found to be most accurate and
flexible is the Shah model, for both occupied and unoccupied pools. The
ASHRAE equation (presented by Carrier in 1918) may overly predict losses for
pools with extensive unoccupied periods.
As for conductive losses for underground swimming pools, these may be
accounted as a percent of the other losses (radiative, convective and
evaporative). I believe Retscreen, for instance, use 5% of the total.
Conductive losses are many times ignored altogether by different simulation
models. Also, pay attention to what 'unoccupied' really means because some
models will regard the pool as being covered whenever unoccupied, and this
may or may not be the case for you.

The greatest impact on pool losses, as you can imagine will be the pool hall
maintained relative humidity and temperature, as well as pool water
temperature and activity level in the pool. Once you feel comfortable with
these assumptions, then using the Shah model may give you some good
estimates for evaporative losses.

Hope this helps.
Karen,

--