[BLDG-SIM] WWR definition

Michael Rosenberg Michael.Rosenberg at state.or.us
Tue Apr 25 15:33:33 PDT 2006

Gerald,

I am not sure I understand your question, but I will take a shot at answering. Appendix G is different from the body of the standard. Chapter 5 prescribes maximum fenestration areas as a % of gross wall area which includes below grade walls. Appendix G, in describing the hypothetical baseline building prescribes a maximum fenestration area as a percentage of above grade wall area. These two sections are clearly different.

Mike

Michael Rosenberg
Oregon Department of Energy
625 Marion St. N.E.
Salem, OR 97301-3742
Phone : (503) 373-7809
Fax: (503) 373-7806

>>> Gerald Pde 04/25/06 02:51PM >>>
Michael,
Appendix-g states that use 40% glazing if glazing % is
above 40%, otherwise use whatever is smaller. From all
the discussions regarding this above-grade/below-grade
issue, we now learn that, as an update to the code,
below grade walls(if the adjecent space is
conditioned) are now included in the WWR calculations.
Appendix-g should not change anything apart from the
fact that glazing will need to be equally distributed
through-out the above-grade facade, am I correct?

Gerald

--- Michael Rosenberg