[BLDG-SIM] CO2 monitoring

Peter Moberg peter at insitegroup.net
Wed Aug 23 11:15:26 PDT 2006

Jaya,

I don't know if these are fully functional yet, but the help in the latest
version of Equest has the following:

DCV-RETURN-SENSOR This codeword instructs the program to model a DCV device
that uses a CO2 differential between the SYSTEM return air stream and OA
intake air stream to determine the hourly minimum OA fraction. The program
calculates the OA minimum requirement and sets the minimum damper position
hourly based upon the sum of the ZONE requirements. Each zone OA requirement
is calculated based upon the hourly maximum of either OA-CFM/PER (times the
NUMBER-OF-PEOPLE adjusted by the hourly PEOPLE-SCHEDULE) or a minimum OA
ventilation rate. The zone minimum OA ventilation rate is either
MIN-OUTSIDE-AIR if specified or the maximum of OA-CHANGES (times the zone
VOLUME/60), OA-FLOW/AREA (times the zone AREA.)

DCV-ZONE-SENSORS   This codeword instructs the program to model a DCV device
that uses the highest CO2 differential between the each ZONE air and OA
intake air stream to determine the hourly minimum OA fraction. The program
calculates the OA minimum requirement and sets the minimum damper position
hourly using the “critical” zone requirement; the critical zone requirement
is defined as the zone having the highest fraction of OA relative to its
hourly supply air flow rate. Each zone OA requirement is calculated based
upon the hourly maximum of either OA-CFM/PER (times the NUMBER-OF-PEOPLE
adjusted by the hourly PEOPLE-SCHEDULE) or a minimum OA ventilation rate.
The zone minimum OA ventilation rate is either MIN-OUTSIDE-AIR if specified
or the maximum of OA-CHANGES (times the zone VOLUME/60), OA-FLOW/AREA (times
the zone AREA.). The value of the zone minimum OA ventilation flow rate is
divided by the specified/calculated zone supply flow to calculate hourly
zone OA fraction; the zone with the highest hourly flow fraction value is
the “critical” zone.  Setting the sum of the ZONE OA flow requirements
divided by the system total supply fan flow to X, and letting the critical
zone OA fraction be denoted as Z, the system hourly minimum OA flow fraction
is then X/(1+X-Z)

Peter Moberg
InSite Group, Inc.
310 SW 4th Ave. Suite 1120