[BLDG-SIM] heating energy sources per Appendix G

Aleka Pappas APappas at enermodal.com
Fri Dec 15 13:24:22 PST 2006

I'm having some moral issues calculating LEED energy reduction points
per 90.1 appendix G for a project, and I'm wondering if someone else has
had the same issue......
This project has a packaged VAV with reheat system, with natural gas
furnaces in roof top units, and electric reheat.  There's slightly more
heating done by the electric reheat than centrally in this building.
The way Appendix G reads, the Budget Building should have either all gas
or all electric heat; all electric in this case (System 8).  Well, when
I calculate energy savings relative to this Budget, the building is at
about 20% energy cost reduction for 3 LEED points.  The savings are all
from the central heating energy switch from electricity to gas, and is
largely dependent on the cost of electricity relative to that of gas.
It doesn't seem right to give this project such a high energy cost
reduction, but I think this is what Appendix G is saying to do.  Anyone
have any insight?  Is this addressed somewhere that I've missed?  I'm
really wanting to put central gas furnaces in the Budget Building.....

Thanks for your help,
Aleka

--
Aleka Pappas