[BLDG-SIM] System Type in Appendix G

gail gail22 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 11:42:41 PST 2006

Hi Bill,

Your interpretation is the correct interpretation.  This is specific to
Appendix G (the Performance Rating Method), and does not impact basic code
compliance (the Energy Cost Budget Method from Chapter 11).

I expect the change was made in order to encourage the selection of more
efficient system types for various buildings.  With the energy cost budget
method, buildings that select inherently efficient system types are not
credited for this selection because the Baseline case moves with the
Proposed case.  Similarly, buildings that select inherently inefficient
system types are not penalized for this selection.  Appendix G attempts to
correct this by

You are correct that the number of systems modeled in the baseline building
may be high.

Gail Stranske
CTG Energetics, Inc.