[BLDG-SIM] Demand Control Ventilation and Economizer Control for a Theatre

Danni Wang liuwang94710 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 17:18:50 PST 2006

Dear Group,

Am I on a correct direction? Any comments are welcome
- -

I am comparing two ventilation strategies for comfort
control in a Theatre. Option 1 uses air side
economizer (EC) only. Option 2 uses DCV integrated
with EC.
The design OA flow rate is 15cfm/person; and it gets
upto 40% of design flow. If I trust the simulation
(eQuest), DCV+EC has higher electricity use (for space
cooling), and much lower gas use than EC.

My guess for higher electricity use of DCV+EC is in
the simulaiton, the specification of outside air ratio
is pre-occupied by DCV, which set much low outside air
ratio in the mornings in summer, so it used more
electricity to cool the space. DCV+EC reduces cold
outside air in all hours in winter, that agrees with
EC, so it reduced gas use to heat the space.

In eQuest, when I set a MIN_AIR_SCH according to
occupancy ratio, then the EC strategy seem to be
bypassed. Are there any way to optimze DCV+EC in
eQuest? i.e. to turn high outside air volume in the
mornings in summer, turn low in the afternoons when
the theatre is occupied and outside is warmer?

Thank you very much!

Danni Wang