[bldg-sim] Green Building Studio

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at ecs.umass.edu
Tue Jan 3 05:11:54 PST 2006

This is nice try in terms of web based tool, although I don't particularly
like that the calculations are done as batch runs and results sent via
emails.  Also, windows are specified only through fixed U-factor and SHGC,
which is gross simplification and it introduces relatively large errors.
Some of the other limitations like inability to specify weight of the wall
and roof construction, simple rectangular shapes only, etc. could be
relatively significant barriers for wider use.

Charlie

P.S.  In some instances, the tool gives an error after I select a building
and fill-in basic info.  I tried from couple of browsers, and I get the same
behavior:

Server Error in '/GUI' Application.
Access to the path "d:\data\Inetpub\wwwroot\GUI\ASP_Err.log" is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"d:\data\Inetpub\wwwroot\GUI\ASP_Err.log" is denied.

granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

Line 23: // String error_file_path = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings.Get
("ErrorLogFile");
Line 24: string error_file_path = Config.GetConfigValue("WEB",
"ErrorLogFile");
Line 25: StreamWriter sw = System.IO.File.AppendText(error_file_path);
Line 26: sw.AutoFlush = true ;
Line 27: //write string to file

Source File: d:\data\inetpub\wwwroot\GUI\Home\WebLogger.cs    Line: 25

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"d:\data\Inetpub\wwwroot\GUI\ASP_Err.log" is denied.]
   System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
   System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access,
FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean
bFromProxy) +888
   System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access,
FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize) +44
   System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append) +55
   System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding
encoding, Int32 bufferSize) +49
   System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append) +66
   System.IO.File.AppendText(String path) +32
   ECalc.GUI.WebLogger.writeLog(String message) in
d:\data\inetpub\wwwroot\GUI\Home\WebLogger.cs:25
   ECalc.GUI.NavigationMap.GetNextPage(String currentLocationID) in
d:\data\inetpub\wwwroot\GUI\Home\NavigationMap.cs:119
   GUI.Home.UserControl.BasicProInfo.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender,
EventArgs e) in
d:\data\inetpub\wwwroot\gui\home\usercontrol\basicproinfo.ascx.cs:581
   System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18