[bldg-sim] EnergyPlus - DOE

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Wed Jan 18 09:12:12 PST 2006

That is a big question.

For a comparison of current energy simulation software, you could look
at Dru Crawley’s paper comparing 20 tools:

http://www.energytoolsdirectory.gov/pdfs/contrasting_the_capabilities_
of_building_energy_performance_simulation_programs_v1.0.pdf

Main differences between DOE and EnergyPlus:

1)      DOE calculates the space loads for each hour then calculates
the system and plant response for each hour.  EnergyPlus
simultaneously solves the loads the system/plant response for each
timestep.

2)      DOE has a fixed 1 hour timestep, EnergyPlus has a variable
timestep (down to 1 minute?).

3)      There are also key issues with the weighting factor
assumptions, the wall convective coefficients.

I haven’t used EnergyPlus much yet.  What did I miss guys?

Brian Fountain