[bldg-sim] Temperature set points for ASHRAE 90.1, 2004

Gang Wu gangwu1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 01:52:51 PST 2006

If my understanding is correct, the design set point can be used. ASHARE 90.1 doesn't specify the number of suppy and indoor air setpoint. The reason why 90.1 specify the delta T is to specify the air volume the system distributes. In that sense, a cold air distribution system could be more energy-efficient than the ASHRAE budget building, and could contribute to earning additional LEED points. if you use a system that has a delta T less than 20F, the system can be less energy-efficient and may have a bit negative impact on your way to LEED points unless special consideration is taken into account.

Peter Simmonds <peter.simmonds at ibece.net> wrote:        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                OK so the grey matter isn¡¯t working today, so I need some help.
  If I understand 90.1, 2004 correctly under 11.3 (g), the supply air to room temperature difference is 20F. So assuming this is based on an overhead VAV system supplying air at 55F then the space operating temperature would be 75F.
  If this assumption is true, then using a displacement system, supplying air at 63F, the space operating condition would be 83F.
  Nyserda and CEC use design temperature set points but I cannot seem to find these in 90.1,2004.
  So in order to comply with LEED 2.2, the energy performance has to comply with appendix G, but what temperature set points are used?

  Be gentle with your replies, its only three days before ASHRAE.

  Peter Simmonds Ph.D.
  Associate
IBE Consulting Engineers
  14130 Riverside Drive Suite 201
  Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
p:   (818) 377-8220
f:    (818) 377-8230
m:  (818) 219-1284
IDEAS FOR THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.