[BLDG-SIM] EQUEST: CW Temperature and Chiller Performance

Mike Tillou miket at etcgrp.com
Mon Jun 12 05:53:50 PDT 2006

David,

I think you are confusing two different issues.  The rated/design
chiller conditions used to calculate the EIR and the operation of the CW
loop are somewhat independent so your concern may be unecessary.  I
think this will help answer your question.

First:
When you define the design or rated conditions of the chiller you are
giving eQuest the information it needs to use the custom bi-quadratic
performance curves that describe how chiller power (EIR) changes for
different operating conditions.  Rated conditions refer to ARI
conditions of 44F LCHWT and 85F ECWT, while the design conditions refer
to the actual chiller design (Should only be used for chillers designed
at non-ARI conditions).  When you enter the chiller EIR and capacity you
need to make sure that they match the chillers rated or design
conditions that you enter.

Second:
The operation of the circulation loops (assuming a reset strategy is
being used) is dependent on the values you enter for COOL-SETPT-T,
COOL-SETPT-CTRL, MAX-RESET-T and MIN-RESET-T and not the chiller
design/rated conditions.

The important thing in your case is that if your chiller is designed to
operate at low CW temperatures you probably want to create your own
chiller performance curves.   In my experience the default curves don't
give good results when the CW temp is that low (55F-65F especially at
full load) because they are intended for chillers operating much closer
to rated ARI conditions.

The best way to check whether your data is good is to run an hourly
report on the chiller and then compare whether the corrected EIR for
certain ECWT and LCHWT conditions match the chiller manufacturer's rated
performance at those same conditions.

MIke

Michael Tillou, PE
etc Group, Inc.