[BLDG-SIM] help: eQuest result review

Jeff Hirsch Jeff.Hirsch at DOE2.com
Fri Mar 24 08:21:42 PST 2006

Here are easy ways to get hourly or non-hourly data from the .sim file
into an excel spreadsheet quickly without any "programming"

If you want to put eQUEST simulation hourly results into excel
(not non-hourly results output, but output of report-blocks
and hourly-report commands) then (from the detailed data edit
mode) go to the "Project & Site" module Component Tree,
in the Simulation Output folder and Non-Hourly Reports
subfolder, right click on the Loads Report or Systems Reports
item and open its properties sheet and sheet tab (the one(s)
for which you have created report-blocks and hourly-reports)
and change the "Hourly Data Save Format" to "Formatted"

This will cause a fixed field width formatted text file with
no headers or pagination to be created in the project subdirectory
with a name for the project run with "_HourlyDataN_M" appended
to the end and an extension of ".DAT"  Example:
    Project 1 - Baseline Design_HourlyData2_01.DAT
The N is either 1 (loads reports) or 2 (HVAC - systems - reports)
and the M is the parametric run number.  You can then use the
excel import wizard (selecting open for "all files") to directly
import this text file as row/column data.

If you want to put eQUEST simulation non-hourly results into excel
you can open the .sim file in the D2SimViewer (you can do this from
outside eQUEST by simply starting the D2SimViewer and open the
output file of interest)  You can then navigate to a report you want to
move into excel, highlight the lines of the report you want to copy,
select edit/copy (or ctrl-c) then select the cell in an excel spreadsheet
where you want the data and do a edit/paste-special and passte as
text, then (after the text is first pasted into excel and the format selection
icon appears at the bottom of the pasted text) select the option to
"use text import wizard" and allow the wizard to match rows/columns in
the text to be corresponding rows/columns in the spreadsheet.
---
Jeff Hirsch
James J. Hirsch & Associates
Building Performance Analysis Software & Consulting
12185 Presilla Road
Camarillo, CA 93012-9243 USA
phone: (805) 553-9000
fax: (805) 532-2401