[bldg-sim] Zone mean radiant temperature in eQuest

Ian Doebber Ian.Doebber at arup.com
Mon Nov 27 18:35:17 PST 2006

EnergyPlus gives you a greater understanding of comfort by allowing you to output every surface temperature and checking the numbers to make sure asymmetric thermal discomfort doesn't occur.  It also outputs PMV and PPD as well as several other more recent comfort models to give you a better understanding of meeting the criteria established in ASHRAE 55.

Also, EnergyPlus allows you to specify a particular surface that an occupant is closest to such as a floor in a large warehouse or a window surface in a perimeter office space so that its temperature has greater weighting in the PMV calculation.  If you really want to get detailed, look into the free comfort program provided by the "Center for the Built Environment" which will create a PMV chart across the floor surface due to different view factors and thermal asymmetry.  It has a user interface.

Finally, my company has a program called ROOM that analyzes a thermally complex room such as a naturally ventilated atrium space and quickly does all these processes in one program.  It combines a lot of the steps needed to do thermal analysis as well as understanding comfort in one packaged program.  It is available for purchase.  Email me if you are interested.

As Vikram mentioned, RadSim may be a program which can provide the analysis you need.  I've heard of it but have never used it.  I think its free which is always a bonus.  I'd be interested to hear how it works.