[BLDG-SIM] LEED Core&Shell simulation and lighting

Chris Jones cj at cr-jay.ca
Tue Oct 31 02:41:07 PST 2006

I am a bit fuzzy on how to define the design and budget building
lighting loads for LEED C&S.  With most core and shell projects, the
lighting is minimal - waiting for the TI to design the lighting.  If
that is the case with a specific C&S project, then I assume the
lighting is not fully designed then I assume that table 11.3.1 1(c) applies:
(c) When the energy cost budget method is applied to buildings in which
energy-related features have not yet been designed (e.g., a lighting system),
those yet-to-be-designed features shall be described in the proposed design so
that they minimally comply with applicable mandatory and prescriptive
requirements from Sections 5 through 10. Where the space classification for a
building is not known, the building shall be categorized as an office building.

In this case, then it would seem that there is no advantage to trying
to design an efficient Core and Shell lighting design?  Any thoughts
greatly appreciated.

Chris Jones
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2E3.