[BLDG-SIM] Loop-to-Loop HP Chiller

Kate Turpin katet at pae-engineers.com
Fri Oct 6 17:13:42 PDT 2006

I am using eQuest, and am modeling a building with a ground source heat pump (open loop) and heat recovery chiller.  In eQuest, I have a ground-water circulation loop (open lake/well type), and am using a Loop-to-Loop heat pump chiller.  I am looking at two scenarios:  a constant condenser water temperature (well water at 55°F all year), and a varying condenser water temperature (well water winter temp low at 51°F, and summer temp high at 63°F, and a curve fit varying the water in between). I already have schedules set up to simulate the condenser water temperature scenarios this, but am running into problems in determining how the chiller performance curves are working...

Does anyone out there have an understanding of the relationship of the various doe2 default EIR and performance curves for this loop-to-loop heat pump chiller type (operating in both cooling and heating mode)....  I'm not finding a lot of direction in the doe.2 dictionary.  I would like to ask a chiller manufacturer to provide part-load curves and EIRs at different condenser water temperatures, but cannot tell how these values are translated into the three performance curves indicated for this chiller.

I have generated performance curves in the past for condensing boilers, and part load curves for centrifugal chillers, so I already understand the general principle of normalizing the data.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Kate