[BLDG-SIM] Importing eQUEST Simulation File Reports into Excel/Word etc.

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Tue Oct 24 16:42:42 PDT 2006

Two tid-bits (I'm in eQuest mode myself today...)

If you are looking just for the monthly energy end-uses, there will be a
file <filename>_EG_MoEU_ED.csv - I think this is the one John is talking
about.  It's great for importing since the fields are always in the same
location.

Also, if you open your eQuest.ini file in notepad (making a backup copy
beforehand of course...) and insert the lines:

;EDIT BELOW FOR Plant parameter output
StoreResults_HVAC_Summary=1

Then eQuest will produce another CSV file that includes listings of all
your equipment, systems, loops, etc.  This one is hard to work with on
an automated basis sometimes as your alternative runs may not have the
same number of pumps/loops/etc, changing the relative position of the
data.

I've inserted these two lines at the end of the "[preferences]" section.

Andrew, if these don't help you and you still need to import the sim
output, copy the page from the output viewer, paste into excel, and then
use "Text to columns" command with fixed widths or space delimiters.
Not automated, but Excel seems to understand at least once you've made
it into columns and will automatically parse into cells the next time
you paste the same data in the same location.

There is another program out there that can import data based on
keywords but I haven't advanced to that stage yet.  It's called AWK, you
can search the bldg-sim archive for information.  Might be worth it if
you are going to do this hundreds of times instead of tens of times.

Hope this helps!

David