[BLDG-SIM] Thermal building simulation in China

Joe Huang YJHuang at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 4 11:44:06 PDT 2006

There are now several centers of expertise in building energy simulations in
China.  The latest revisions of the building energy standards are all based
on DOE-2, with plans to eventually convert to EnergyPlus.  The Building
Physics Institute of the China Academy of Building Research has taken the
lead in doing these simulations, although at least 4-5 other provincial
academies of building research in Guangdong, Fujian, Heilongjiang, are also
using DOE-2 on a regular basis.  These all use a user interface developed by
the Building Physics Institute in 2002-2004, although the Building Physics
Institute itself can be considered an "expert" user capable of making code
changes in DOE-2 itself.   The software arm of CABR has also added DOE-2 for
code compliance to their commercial PKPM architectural design software that
is widely marketed in China.  There is also another architectural software
company that's also developed a DOE-2-based program for code compliance
calculations.  In the universities, there are some users of VisualDOE, and
quite a number of graduate students who have downloaded and using
EnergyPlus. DeST is an independent simulation program  developed by Tsinghua
University that has a graphical user interface using an AutoCAD add-on for
the building geometry.  DeST is being used in a number of universities, but
less so by engineers and design firms.  Recently, the Pacific Energy Center
in Shanghai has migrated from VisualDOE to ESP, primarily because the
director is a former member of the ESP development team in the UK.  Lastly,
there are also a few TRNSYS users in China.

 I recently attended a building energy conservation conference in Hangzhou,
where a third of the papers presented results based on computer simulations.
My main observations are that (1)  capabilities and acceptance of computer
simulations have developed very fast in the last several years,  and (2)
building design in China is highly computerized, which translates to
architects and engineers who are very comfortable in using computers; this
should be factored in promoting or offering building energy simulations.

Joe Huang