[BLDG-SIM] HERS, RESNET, Energy Star, etc. in Apartment Complexes

Graham & Megan hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 20 12:22:59 PDT 2006

If you are looking as to what is happening internationally, in Australia there has been a fair bit of focus on energy & water consevation in all types of residential (detached, semi-detached and multi-unit).

Up until 18 months ago we only had HER's which rated the envelope only at the design stage using tools such as NatHERS, BERS, FirstRate depending on which state you are in.  These are now being replaced by Accurate.  Each of these provide a star rating for each dwelling with local authorities / building codes calling up minimum star ratings.

The more interesting development (in the last 18 months) has been the release of the Building Sustainability Index (www.basix.nsw.gov.au) in NSW which covers both water and energy conservation.  While there is still a lot of debate on the black box calculations for the energy rating (% improvement on existing stock) it nevertheless is rating everything (appliances, lighting, AC, envelope, pools) in a dwelling aside from what you plug into the wall.  Currently high rise residential in Sydney has a 40% water savings target and 20% energy savings target.  Th state government is looking to up the energy target in 2008 but is under a lot of pressure from property lobbyists who believe the $10-25k premium/dwelling is economically unsustainable.

I would be interested in hearing about any similar schemes contemplated elsewhere in the World.
Regards,
Graham