[BLDG-SIM] Active Chilled Beam Model

Graham & Megan hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Tue Sep 12 14:35:49 PDT 2006

This is a good discussion, I am glad others are trying to find work arounds as the humidity control and central heating aspects are not straight forward.
I am not fmailiar with the fan energy problems, but I am familiar with the following:

1) There is a lower limit on CHW DT across the chiller which I believe is 6DegF.

2) The OA-FROM-SYSTEM is the way to go in EQuest/2.2.  TAS, Apache and I suspect other programs allow the heating / humidity control to be handled more easily and accurtely but fall down on the waterside.

3) The OA-FROM-SYSTEM cannot 'see' the zones you are passing the air to so therefore off-coil temperatures cannot be directly controlled from the zone unless you replicate a dummy building that mimics your actual model's latent loads etc.

4) Further to #3 the OA-FROM-SYSTEM cannot see the zone heating demands thus space heating must be local by baseboards or by a 4-pipe IU/FCU.

5) Given above I have tended to se up my OA-FROM-SYSTEM as a SZRH system with the cooling coil off-coil controlling to an outdoor air reset schedule to dehumidify and the zone heating coils reheating to maintain a minimum zone supply temperature (nominally 15C).  In Australia we use this configuration as we have warm to hot and humid climates with a small heating load in comparison to most North American climates.  In winter the central heating coil (zone coil in this case on a SZRH) would heat to satisfy zone of greatest heating demand and other zones would recool.  Reheat and recool sounds inefficient but when the heating is done with CW heat recovery and periods of simultaneous heating and cooling are in cooler months when plant effcieincy is at a maximum, the whole system is actually quite efficient.

6) I then iterate on the outdoor air reset schedule and observe humidity levels in key zones to satisfy myself that I am getting space dewpoint control.

7) Ultimately with a chilled beam system that is most sensitive to space dewpoint control this is still only a good approximation that is time consuming to ensure it is right.

I mentioned last week that the EQuest/2.2 team could fix this up (IU system with no OA-FROM-SYSTEM, dewpoint contrl and central heaing / reheat) if the $ could be found - keep in mind we enjoy freeware.  Speaking with Jeff Hirsch over the years we aren't talking a lot of money but it is too much for me to justify paying 100%.  Anyone feeling generous or like me, frustrated at the time consuming work arounds, please contat Jeff and/or myself as this enhancement would extend the application of EQuest/2.2 dramatically (from my point of view).

Regards,
Graham Carter