[BLDG-SIM] Baseline for Garage Ventilation using Performance Rating Method, LEED-CS 2.0

neeraj near_ej at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 11:14:35 PDT 2007

Hi all,
LEED, Core and Shell V2.0
A 300,000 sqft building, 12 stories above ground located in Washington DC. The baseline building is System # 8, i.e. VAV fan controlled, PIU, all electric heating and cooling.
Problem Area -- To determine a correct Baseline: In the proposed design, 3 levels of underground parking garage are merely ventilated with constant volume fans and they are not equipped with CO/NOx sensors , i.e. they are merely constant volume, SA and EA fans.We know that garage ventilation is not process energy, so it must be regulated somehow, right?! Plus, we cannot take credit for energy savings from OA ventilation air (according to Appendix G). Now, since this is a 'fans only' situation in both the models (no cooling or heating) I have assumed the CFM of OA ventilation air must be the same in both cases. Am I correct, so far?
Using this as a premise, the following two contradicting scenarios for an appropriate baseline model can reasonably  be thought of:Model similar SA and EA CFM as in the "Proposed Building Model" with similar fan power kW/CFM, ORModel similar SA and EA CFM as in the "Proposed Building Model" but calculating the fan power for the OA flow using Section G3.1.2.9 of the Informative Appendix G of ASHRAE 90.1-2004.THE BIG QUESTION(s): Is the second option a valid approach for determining fan power (kW/CFM) for the baseline?

OR

Is the method only meant for determining (and thus crediting/penalising) system supply air fans and not parking garage fans?

Thanks,
Neeraj