[BLDG-SIM] EQuest question on below grade walls

Vicki Lynne avn8166 at blackfoot.net
Tue Apr 10 09:35:34 PDT 2007

I'm modeling a building with some walls that are earth bermed with 2 to 3
feet of soil.  The walls are concrete and insulated on the outside.  So the
layers would be, outside to inside: soil, 2" rigid insulation, 8" concrete
wall, 3" interior block.

EQuest keeps telling me that it cannot simulate this wall because it is too
thick or too dense.  Equest is recognizing this as an underground wall (at
first I thought I had this wall designated as an above grade wall but it's
not.)

I re-arranged the layers and if the insulation is on the inside and the
concrete is only 6" thick it works.  But then I don't have the mass on the
heated side of the space (which is how the building is constructed.)

So I'm not sure what the problem is.  Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks very much!

v.

Vicki Lynne, PE
NCAT/NWE Business Partners Energy Services
Butte, MT