[BLDG-SIM] ASHRAE 90.1 - window SHGC

Leonard Sciarra leonard_sciarra at gensler.com
Mon Apr 9 11:42:56 PDT 2007

Charlie,

(this maybe off topic)

Good point, however, you must remember, that the development of the
prescriptive tables in 90.1 is based on a generic office building with
an floor plan aspect ratio of 1:1.  it is an internally load dominated
building, so even up to climate zone 7 (maybe not 8) in calculating
ANNUAL energy consumption, reducing solar heat gain (while allowing some
light in for assumed daylighting) was the key factor in the glazing
selection that comes out of the model.  Again, it was annual energy
consumption.

Prescriptive codes are blunt instruments of change.   I think we all
agree that if you change the building aspect ratio, choose good
glass/shading and install a daylight harvesting/dimming system, design
the interior to take advantage of all of this, you are 70% of the way to
a kick ass energy efficient design.

Leonard Sciarra, AIA, LEED ap

312.577.6580 (Dir)

G E N S L E R | Architecture & Design Worldwide

30 West Monroe Street

Chicago IL, 60603

312.456.0123