[BLDG-SIM] HVAC System for Appendix G?

sphackel at uwalumni.com sphackel at uwalumni.com
Mon Aug 27 08:24:26 PDT 2007

I am modeling a building in Maryland with an HVAC system that fits
into either System 7 or System 8 in 90.1 Appendix G.  I have consulted
with several other engineers as well as the LEED FAQ, but have found
no detailed description of whether to use the fossil fuel (System 7)
or electric (System 8) system as a baseline (Table G3.1.1A).  A model
with an electric system will obviously show larger savings with
whatever the proposed building is, but if I'm able to do this then why
would anyone ever choose the fossil fuel option as a baseline?
(nowhere does it mention that the baseline fuel must match the
proposed fuel).

Apologies for this not being purely a 'simulation' question.

Scott Hackel
Sustainable Engineering Group
shackel at sustaineng.com

431 Charmany Drive, Suite 102