[BLDG-SIM] a qucik question about Cooling EIR -- eQuest

Andrew Craig andrew_c at ieice.com
Wed Aug 29 12:06:08 PDT 2007

Anna---

The EIR in eQUEST is the combined efficiency of the unit condenser and
compressor while the ASHRAE code EER or SEER values are the entire
packaged unit efficiency.  You'll notice if you enter a published EER or
SEER in the wizard and then check the EIR output in the detailed edit
mode, it does not equal 3.413/EER because it isn't taking into account
the fan efficiency or inefficiency depending on how you look at it.

If you are doing a model for LEED, the way I have been advised to model
packaged units is to enter the ASHRAE Table values in the wizard (EER or
SEER) and let the program parse out the components of EIR and fan power.
Then, calculate the baseline fan efficiency and enter that number in the
detailed edit mode, overriding the wizard created value.

I have heard from members on the ASHRAE committee that Appendix G does
not handle this issue very well and it seems to be something that could
be refined.  If anyone out there has a more definitive stance on the
proper way to model packaged units in eQUEST with regards to
ASHRAE/Appendix G, please chime in.

Regards,

Andrew Craig, EIT, LEED(r) AP | Mechanical Designer
INTERFACE ENGINEERING
708 SW Third Avenue | Suite 400 | Portland, OR 97204
direct: 503.382.2696
office: 503.382.2266
fax: 503.382.2262
email: Andrew_C at ieice.com
web: www.ieice.com
Consultants of Choice to the Built Environment for over 35 years
Kirkland, WA | Portland, OR | Sacramento, CA | Salem, OR | SanFrancisco,
CA