[BLDG-SIM] AHSRAE 90.1, Appendix G Question

Paul Riemer PaulR at TWGI.com
Tue Aug 21 06:58:54 PDT 2007

Hi Mark,
"Source" is a peculiar word there in G3.1.2.10.f. but I would tend to
interpret it more as an exhaust fan system rather than a diffuser, hood,
or snorkel.

The User's Manual does not address the Appendix G section but it does
expound on the prescriptive compliance path's  matching exception in
6.5.6.1h:

"Where the largest single exhaust source is less than 75% of the design
outdoor airflow. This exception is provided to account for the
impracticality of recovering heat from multiple exhaust sources for a
single outdoor air intake. An
example could be a high-rise residential facility with a single
pressurized outdoor airshaft but a half-dozen toilet and kitchen exhaust
risers."

Although that is a bit unsatisfying because its specific example refers
to a multiple "risers", I think it still helps.

I would ask yourself: Is there a single physical location in the current
design with an exhaust volume that is at least 75% of the design outside
air flow?

Hope that helps.

Paul Riemer
The Weidt Group