[BLDG-SIM] Building additions and shading

Kevin Kyte kkyte at robsonwoese.com
Thu Aug 2 13:19:21 PDT 2007

Yes, the building is going for LEED certification, therein lays my concern
for shading from existing buildings.  I had originally thought to make the
new construction walls butting against the existing building adiabatic but I
had not thought to make them interior.  Either way it still doesn't account
for shading on the new construction exterior walls.  I think I understand
that one can make custom shading devices but am unfamiliar with the process
so I will research.  Currently, my thought is to just include the existing
structures and leave them unconditioned and make the connecting new
construction walls adiabatic.  This way the shading will be accounted for.
I am wondering if it is expectable for LEEDs.  Or would it be easier to
create custom shading?

Again, thank you for your responses.

  _____