[Bldg-sim] simulation software

Tom Momeyer tom at momeyer.com
Fri Dec 21 09:41:41 PST 2007

Renée,

I signed up to bldg-sim listserv recently.  We recently switched from
AutoCAD (2d drafting) to Revit (BIM, 3d modeling).  It's a little too soon
to say that "most architects are using" ... Revit, Archicad, etc.  There
appears to be a paradigm shift or change in-progress in the industry, but
surveys I've seen have said that larger architectural firms have started
with some modeling (BIM, Revit, etc) and less so in smaller firms.  Like
you, I will be interested to see responses to your questions about using the
Revit (or other) 3d model for building simulation.  It's my understanding
that Revit Architecture exports to gbXML which then goes to IES.  Or, from
Revit Architecture to www.greenbuilding.com web analysis (limited to a few
number of runs).  Or from architect using Revit Architecture to mech
engineer using Revit MEP (same model) and from Revit MEP directly to IES
running inside Revit MEP.  Or, new IES plug-in tool for Revit Architecture
(one of the links below).  There are some important steps in modeling for
successful output to IES enumerated in the first link below.

Building Performance Analysis Using Revit:
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/building_performance_analysis_using_re
vit.pdf

IES plug-in for Revit Architecture:
http://www.iesve.com/content/default.asp?page=s97 with plug-in for Revit
Architecture

Revit and IES discussion in an AUGI forum with posts from Revit's MEP
Product Manager:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=54048 Revit and IES

Autodesk's proposed sustainability dashboard concept
http://www.tenlinks.com/news/PR/AUTO...0807_usgbc.htm

Building Information Modeling and Green Design
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/ar...me=160501a.xml

Green Building Studio http://www.greenbuildingstudio.com/gbsinc/gbs-web.aspx

"Seamlessly links architectural 3-D CAD building designs with energy
analysis. Green Building Studio (GBS) enables architects to quickly
calculate the operational and energy implications of early design
decisions."

Tom

Thomas E. Momeyer, AIA, CCS