[bldg-sim] Horizontal shading in EQUEST

Aulbach, John jaulbach at nexant.com
Wed Jan 17 16:46:32 PST 2007

What do you mean by Horizontal Shading? Like fins (the device fin are
vertical, but cut down light horizontally) ??

I just ran a typical office (250,000 sf) in Fresno, CA in eQuest.  When
I put 2.5 ft fins on all the windows, I got a slight decrease in heating
as well (but not to your % level).

I traded the 2.5 ft fins with 2.5 overhangs. I got a 15% decrease in
cooling, and a 13% decrease in heating. This building is dominated by
VAV/reheat. What I can surmise is that when the cooling load decreased,
the need to reheat decreased as well. That the building is not skin
dominated for energy.

Anyone else have a clue?

John R. Aulbach, PE, CEM
Project Manager