[BLDG-SIM] measured heat load data for persons?

Mark Nieman MARKN at McKinstry.com
Wed Jul 25 13:13:09 PDT 2007

Looking at the 1997 & 2005 ASHRAE Fundamentals chapter on Thermal Comfort (Ch. 8), it appears that the data is based on various studies that have been done ranging from the years 1955 through 1994 (the bibliography is over two pages long for this chapter alone). Table 4, Typical Metabolic Heat Generation for Various Activities lists "Sources: Compiled from various sources. For additional information, see Buskirk (1960), Passmore and Durnin (1967), and Webb (1964)." The bibliography lists those source documents as:

Buskirk, E.R. 1960. Problems related to the caloric cost of living. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 26:365.
Passmore, R. and J.V.G. Durnin. 1967. Energy, work and leisure. Heinemann Educational Books, London.
Webb, P. 1964. Bioastronautics data base. NASA.

Mark Nieman, PE, CEM
Sr. Energy Engineer
McKinstry Essention
Direct: (206) 832-8152
Cell: (206) 510-4760
FAX: (206) 832-8552
http://www.mckinstry.com
"For The Life Of Your Building"

-----Original Message-----
From: BLDG-SIM at gard.com [mailto:BLDG-SIM at gard.com] On Behalf Of Astrid Roetzel
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:59 AM
To: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
Subject: [BLDG-SIM] measured heat load data for persons?

Dear all,

I am a PhD Student working on the interdependencies of thermal comfort, user behaviour and architecture.
For my simulations I am looking for measured data for heat loads of persons.
International literature (like ashrae fundamentals) agrees, that in offices in a seated position one average person has about 70W, and I don't know if this value is theoretical or already based on measurements. Does anybody know about any measurements to support or disprove this value?

Thank you in advance and kind regards,

Astrid

This email is the property of McKinstry or one of its affiliates and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.

Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.