[BLDG-SIM] Simulations Insensitive to Glass Changes

Taylor, Russell D UTRC TaylorRD at utrc.utc.com
Mon Jul 23 14:46:37 PDT 2007

Brandon,

The first thing that I would do is open up the SIM file and look at the
LS-C report (Building Peak Load Components). This report tells you what
the total building envelope loads and internal heat gains are for peak
cooling and heating conditions. Here are the categories provided:

WALL CONDUCTION

ROOF CONDUCTION

WINDOW GLASS+FRM COND

WINDOW GLASS SOLAR

DOOR CONDUCTION

INTERNAL SURFACE COND

UNDERGROUND SURF COND

OCCUPANTS TO SPACE

LIGHT TO SPACE

EQUIPMENT TO SPACE

PROCESS TO SPACE

INFILTRATION

Since your building appears very insensitive to changes in glazing
U-value my guess is that this report will show that "WINDOW GLASS+FRM
COND" is small compared to the other loads or that one of these other
loads is much larger than the rest. This result may be correct,
especially if the gazing fraction of the facade is low. However, if
"UNDERGROUND SURF COND" is the largest conduction load then you may need
to set U-EFFECTIVE for the slab floors (reasonable values are between
0.01 and 0.02).

You may also find that the building is much more sensitive to changes in
window solar heat gain coefficient than changes in U-value.

Russ Taylor

_______

Russell D Taylor, Ph.D.
UTRC | 411 Silver Lane, MS 129-85 | East Hartford, CT 06108 | Ph: (860)
610-7485
_______