[BLDG-SIM] ASHRAE 90.1-2004 App. G, Hospital Baseline

Taylor, Russell D UTRC TaylorRD at utrc.utc.com
Mon Jul 23 11:35:40 PDT 2007

Dana

I haven't simulated any hospitals under Appendix G, but I have done a
number of pharmaceutical and bio-research labs, which had similar specs
and requirements.

My assumption is that the project intends to seek LEED certification
under LEED-NC 2.2 since you are doing an Appendix G baseline.

I also assume that the CUP currently exists and its capacity will not be
expanded to meet the demands of the addition, therefore you will treat
the chilled and hot water from the CUP as purchased cooling and heating
in the proposed design consistent with G3.1.1.1 (this section only
mentions purchased heat, but I think it is reasonable to apply the same
approach to campus chilled water).

I would classify the building type as Nonresidential and 3 Floors or
Less & < 75,000 sf, which would require System 3 to be used. Even if you
consider the addition to be part of the larger building, this approach
is still consistent with Section G3.1.1 Exception (a).

I'm not sure why you don't consider this to be a fair comparison since
clearly there is a design decision to be made about connecting the
addition to the existing CUP versus independent cooling and heating
systems.

Russ Taylor

_______

Russell D Taylor, Ph.D.
UTRC | 411 Silver Lane, MS 129-85 | East Hartford, CT 06108 | Ph: (860)
610-7485
_______