[BLDG-SIM] thermal breaks for metal studs inside concrete walls

John Ross Energy.wwind at cox.net
Mon Jul 16 13:43:44 PDT 2007

JRR Wrote:

Take 3/8 inch fan fold foam insulation <homogeneous 2 lb blown strofoam>
in 4 ft by 50 ft packs and using 1x4 wood trim  cut to  ~24 inches nail
through
the 1x4 oriented vertically to pin the foam against the wall.... just
make sure
you miss the stud placements...

Preferably use 4 ft x 8 ft sheets of  1 inch Blue Board foam,  1x4
horizontal
at top and bottom, for trim backing and vertically every 24 inches, and
skip the
steel studs and the fiberglass. I've done this several times with
concrete block.
Use cut nails 10p. I've never seen moisture problems with blue board but
have seen rot with below grade fglass batts......