[BLDG-SIM] ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G for Existing Buildings

Ross-Bain, Jeff jross-bain at smithdalia.com
Mon Jun 18 08:39:21 PDT 2007

Hello All,

Can someone please help with this interpretation?

Table G3.1, Section 5, Building Envelope, Item (f) under Baseline
Building indicates that baseline envelope conditions shall reflect the
existing conditions prior to revision. The project I am modeling is an
existing building that had single pane glass and CMU walls with no
insulation. The internal use of the existing building was quite
different from the new (we are going from a warehouse to an office). I
assume, then, that the Baseline Building will reflect the existing
envelope conditions but with the new conditions (i.e. lighting, space
usage, schedules, occupancy, etc.) and the Proposed Building will
reflect the improved building envelope (with, of course, the other
energy efficiency measures designed into the renovated building).

Is this a valid assumption?

Many thanks,

Jeffrey G. Ross-Bain, PE, LEED
Smith Dalia Architects
621 North Ave NE
Suite C-140
Atlanta, GA, 30308
404-892-2443
www.smithdalia.com <http://www.smithdalia.com>

P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you
really need to.