[BLDG-SIM] LEED & Laboratory exclusion

Taylor, Russell D UTRC TaylorRD at utrc.utc.com
Mon Jun 11 11:34:05 PDT 2007

John,

Having simulated a number of laboratory buildings for LEED NC 2.1, I
don't see any way around the inclusion of the 'process spaces' in your
ECB analysis. LEED  NC 2.1 does let you subtract out the plug/process
loads when calculating the percentage energy reduction versus the ECB
baseline, but I'm guessing that your building has a high ventilation
load combined with large static pressures on supply and exhaust fans
that are driving the energy consumption of the building. Unfortunately,
the CIR's that have been answered on this issue are pretty clear that
you cannot exclude these spaces from the ECB analysis.

The way to mitigate this issue is look very carefully at the fan power
of the building design and, in particular, the fan power credits allowed
under 6.3.3.1. Take as much credit in the baseline for supply
temperature, filtration, and heat recovery as you reasonably can. In
addition, perform a rigorous calculation of the fan power requirements
of your design. In many buildings of this type, fan power gets grossly
oversized. One project I worked on was calling for 9 in. w.g.. of static
on the lab system supply fans. After a more careful analysis, the MEP
concluded that they only needed about 6 in. w.g.. static to satisfy
their airflow requirements.

Other aspects of 90.1-1999 to pay particular attention to are sections
6.3.6 and 6.3.7 on energy recovery and exhaust hoods respectively.

Russell Taylor
_______

Russell D Taylor, Ph.D.
UTRC | 411 Silver Lane, MS 129-85 | East Hartford, CT 06108 | Ph: (860)
610-7485
_______