[BLDG-SIM] eQUEST Economizer Question

Fred Porter fporter at archenergy.com
Fri Jun 29 06:30:07 PDT 2007

Two  possibilities .
1. The office system is modeled/proposed with humidification. The increased OA when economizing dries out the mixed air. There are some keywords to close the economizer below user selected ambient humidity ratios. The best solution is to get rid of the humidifier, which should rarely be needed in a tight office building unless the office system transfers a great deal of air to the labs. If the humidity is really needed, and warm return air is available which would otherwise be relieved (the definition of economizing),  evaporative humidification works great and consumes no energy until the mixed air temp is so low preheat would be otherwise needed. BUT, DOE2 does not presently model control of the the evaporative cooling for humidification when not needed for cooling.
2. For a variety of possible reasons, the modeled SAT may be floating up from 55F (CHW loop or cooling scheduled off, inadequate capacity, etc.) during hours when enabling the economizer allows the SAT to be met. So reheat increases during those hours when the SAT is decreased back down to 55F.