[BLDG-SIM] Process Loads and LEED

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Mon Mar 5 08:03:03 PST 2007

Varkie, I can see merits for the 2.1 method and the 2.2 method.  On the
one hand, the process loads are to some degree out of our control.  But
on the other hand, if you have a building with such massive load density
why would the rating system want to exclude all of that energy from
sustainable practices?

I like the idea of consistency when considering all of the energy for
energy optimization, on-site renewables and green power - there are
projects out there that might earn fewer EAC1 points under v2.2 than
under 2.1.  The percentage savings were changed between the versions so
it's hard to say if it is more or less likely to earn a certain amount
of EAC1 points - I would be interested to see a summary if the data is
available about EAC1 points under v2.1 compared to v2.2.  Probably about
the same?

For a high load density building like yours - definitely going to be
harder.  The only suggestion as far as EAC1 points that I could offer
would that if your design has receptacle load at 6 W/ft2 there is
probably a significant diversity in that load, maybe it won't turn out
as badly as you fear.

In regard to ventilation, you are going to use the outside air
requirements from the proposed design and apply that outside air
quantity to both models.  There isn't a "baseline ventilation rate" -
use equal CFM of OA for both models.  Also, OA may be determined from
local building codes rather than ASHRAE - that would also apply equally
to both models.

The one exception would be that Demand Control Ventilation could
potentially be used in the proposed model to reduce OA if DCV isn't
required prescriptively, and if your minimum OA from code is less than
what is required by ASHRAE 62.

Hope this helps!

David