[BLDG-SIM] Trombe Wall in DOE 2.2

Mike Johnston mJohnston at archenergy.com
Wed May 9 18:45:28 PDT 2007

Has anyone out there used the TROMBE-WALL-NV command in DOE2.2 to
effectively model a Trombe wall?  eQuest does not seem to offer this
command, so I am using text mode and following the guidance of the DOE
2.2 Dictionary (June 2006, pp 130-131).  In my model, the only change
when using this command (with appropriate WALL-PARAMETERS for the
construction: 0.1 emiss, 0.9 absorp, 1.5” channel width) appears to be
that heat load is increased when replacing the exterior wall with a
trombe-wall-nv, as the wall area is set equal to the trombe glass
(window) area.  No benefits appear to result from additional thermal
storage effect, as expected.  Was this feature fully developed?  Would I
be better off modeling a very narrow sunspace to represent the trombe
wall channel?  I’d welcome anyone’s input (particularly the DOE2
authors).

Michael Johnston, EI, LEED AP
Energy Analysis Engineer
Sustainable Design Assistance