[BLDG-SIM] CHP and LEED

gail gail22 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:59:27 PDT 2007

Hi Chris,

The Baseline building should be modeled with no generator (no CHP system).
In the Proposed building, you will model the CHP system with whatever heat
recovery is actually installed in the design.  You would not model any heat
recovery in the Baseline design unless condenser heat recovery is
prescriptively required (for 24-hour facilities with large DHW & cooling
loads).

It sounds from your description like the "backup source" for your absorption
cooling and heating would be natural gas.  The question is: what is used for
cooling and heating when the generator is out of service?  Do you have
natural gas boilers for backup?  Then your backup heating fuel source is
natural gas.  Do you have electric chillers operating when the generator is
off line or using its full waste heat capacity to drive heating and DHW?
Then your backup cooling fuel source is electricity.  Are you using steam or
hot water from your natural gas boilers to drive the absorption cooling
process when the generator is off line?  Then your backup cooling fuel
source is natural gas.

Best Regards,
Gail Stranske
CTG Energetics