[BLDG-SIM] IES <VE> vs DesignBuilder

Mahabir Bhandari Bhandari at DesignBuildersoftware.com
Mon May 21 09:25:26 PDT 2007

Ramana,

Here is a brief explanation of what I meant by water side. I would also like
to point out here that my intention was not to create a debate over the
capabilities of IES and DB. It was just a brief comparison based on my
understanding of IES <VE> modeling capability..

Waterside
'IES <VE> cannot model water side' means that it does not explicitly model
the flow of hot and cold water through pipes, water flow control mechanisms,
tanks, headers etc and the consumption of energy in pumps. Instead these
factors are accounted for using simple modeling. DesignBuilder does model
the 'water side' through EnergyPlus when modeling fan coil unit and VAV HVAC
systems.

Regards,

Mahabir
From: Ramana Koti [mailto:ramana.koti at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 9:57 AM
To: bhandari at designbuildersoftware.com
Cc: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
Subject: Re: [BLDG-SIM] IES <VE> vs DesignBuilder

Mahabir,

Can you explain what you mean when you say IES <VE> cannot model water side?
Is it not possible to model a building that has a water side system at all
using IES <VE>?

Thanks,

Ramana Koti, LEED AP
Sustainable Building Analyst

ELEMENTS | a division of berkebile nelson immenschuh mcdowell architects
106 W. 14th Street Suite 200
Kansas City, Missouri 64105

p 816.783.1635 f 816.783.1501
www.bnim.com| elements.bnim.com