[BLDG-SIM] eQuest modeling

McCready, Jessica Jessica.McCready at US.KEMA.com
Fri Oct 26 15:19:02 PDT 2007

Modeling multi family residential in Canada.

			1. Part of the first floor is below grade.
			a. Does the model need to be adjusted for
weaknesses in the DOE analysis method?
			b. I've reviewed a report dated Oct 2003 that
says that there is an 'anomaly' in the way that DOE2 calculates heat
loss to the ground.  The report says that DOE2 overestimates heat loss
to ground.
				Is the anomaly still there, or has it
been corrected?
			      c. The report suggests that the correction
be to increase the resistance of the floors/walls that are in contact
with ground.  Is that right?  By how much?
	2. The energy efficiency (EE) program we're evaluating works to
eliminate thermal bridges, where possible, in the building construction.
(i.e. balconies outside of apartments)
			a. How do I model a building with balconies but
no thermal bridges in the EE case?
			b. How do I add them in the baseline case?
			c. Another report models a 'composite' thermal
resistance for walls that accounts for the studs vs. the insulation in
the wall construction to account for the thermal bridges created by the
wall studs. Is that the correct way to do things?
1)	How do I convert blower door test results at 50 Pa to natural
infiltration?
a.	Rule of thumb seems to be divide by 20
			b.	LBL method uses a factor N = C x H x S x
L.  C, H, S, L based on climate, building height, leak shape, and wind
shielding.  I cannot know leak shape and I do not know wind shielding.
Is there a way to determine 'standard' values for these factors an still
allow me to use building height and climate to adjust for the N factor?
2)	Most thermostats in Canada are bimetallic.  The program requires
electronic thermostats.  The consensus is that the electronic
thermostats are able to hold the temperature more precisely than the
bimetallic thermostats.
a.	Assumption is that the 'comfort' temp is the lowest temp reached
before the heating system is activated.  If bimetallic is set pt temp +-
2F, and the 'comfort' temp is 70F, then the bimetallic thermostat will
be set at 72F to make sure the temperature is always above comfort temp.
If the electronic thermostat is set pt temp +- 1F, then the electronic
thermostat will be set at 71F.  Another report modeled this by changing
the set point temperature by 1F to account for the presence of the
electronic vs. bimetallic thermostat.
			b.	Is there a way to model this in DOE2
(eQUEST) that recognizes bimetallic vs. electronic thermostats?
3)	The current simulation only allows me to model the water heater
outside of the heated living space.  However, the water heaters are
located in the apartment and therefore contribute to the thermal
equation.
a.	How do I model the water heater in the apartment?
			b.	The water heaters are supposed to have
insulated pipes for the first 10 feet.  How do I model that?
4)	All units are ventilated with outside air.  The EE program
requires them to have heat recovery on their ventilation systems.
a.	Are fan schedules equal to the ventilation schedule if the heat
system is electric baseboard?
			b.	How do I simulate the heat recovery
efficiency?  I know the efficiency at -25 degrees C only.  Can I model
the entire system off that one point?
5)	How do I model a ventilation system controlled by a humidistat?
It seems to me that it would be based on behavior patterns - when
showers are taken, how long, cooking practices, etc.  Even if I know
those things, how do I translate them into a ventilation schedule - both
cfm and how long the system is run?

Thanks for any input. Jessica